Mold—it’s a four letter word that makes any homeowner’s skin crawl. It’s a serious concern that can cause catastrophic health problems, and being aware of the signs can help save you from a trip to the hospital (or worse).
There are five types of toxic mold. These molds can exist in your home and cause severe illness if they’re not eliminated as quickly as possible. These molds include:
Some of these molds will only cause homeowners to catch a mild fever, while others can cause life threatening reactions. Toxic mold is harmful to both humans and pets, and there are several warning signs to indicate that your home is infested.
Mold growth is primarily generated through moisture. It can grow on your floorboards, in your basement, around your window frames, and any other area where moisture can collect. According to the US Environmental Protection Agency, the best way to prevent mold growth is controlling moisture.
Since different types of mold can produce different symptoms, it can sometimes be tough to determine if you’re dealing with a mold infestation. However, there are several signs to keep in mind to keep yourself protected.
If you’ve been exposed to mold in your home, you may have one or more of the following symptoms:
As you can see, mold can cause all kinds of health problems for homeowners. The good news is that there are ways that you can prevent mold growth and keep your family healthy and safe.
Here are the top tips to help prevent mold growth in the home:
For more tips on how to avoid costly home repairs, continue to follow Universal Windows Direct’s weekly blog.