In today’s world of home décor, there are nearly endless options for window treatments and blinds. Here are some of the most popular styles and how you can tackle their upkeep:
Vinyl and Plastic Blinds
Vinyl blinds are one of the most popular window treatments in the country. Luckily, they are quite easy to clean as long as you don’t allow too much dirt and grime to build up over time. This is the best way to get your vinyl or plastic blinds as clean as possible:
• Vacuum the blinds first. This helps remove cobwebs and debris that are caked onto the slats. An upholstery attachment will work just fine.
• Close the blinds in one direction and hold the blinds to the window as you vacuum. You can use this process for vertical blinds as well.
• The next step is to dust the blinds with a feather duster or microfiber cloth. Be sure to dust the corners and edges.
• Wash the freshly-dusted blinds with soap and water on both sides.
• For extra dirty vinyl blinds, consider soaking them in a tub with a few squirts of dishwater and vinegar.
Note: Wetting wood blinds can cause warping or discoloration. Avoid using water and clean wood blinds with a soft cloth, feather duster, or a vacuum brush. You can also consider using a cleaner specifically made for wood, such as lemon oil.
The process of cleaning fabric blinds is a bit different than blinds. The process ultimately depends on the type of fabric as well. Follow these tips in accordance to the fabric type of your drapes:
• Washable Curtains: Many cotton curtain panels are machine washable. This applies to drapes you’ll buy at department stores. If you invested in custom drapes, you might want to be careful before throwing them in the wash. Check the care tag for instructions.
• Non-washable Drapes: Fabrics such as silk, velvet, or taffeta should be dry cleaned. If you only want to do a quick cleaning, you can simply take your vacuum’s upholstery attachment and sweep away dust and dirt. You can also consider using a lint roller to remove hair, or take the drapes outside and shake them out like a rug.
Keeping your window treatments clean can also help alleviate allergens such as dust and pet hair. Use these tips to get your window treatments clean this spring season.